Manipur University was established on 5th June, 1980 under the Manipur University Act 1980 (Manipur Act 8 of 1980), as a teaching cum-affiliating University at Imphal with territorial jurisdiction over the whole of the state of Manipur and it was converted into a Central University w.e.f. 13/10/2005. The Manipur University Act No. 54 of 2005 received the assent of the President on 28/12/2005. Manipur University is located at Canchipur, Imphal, the capital city of Manipur, an Indian State bordering Myanmar. The University campus is spread over an area of 287 acres in the historic Canchipur, the old palace of Manipur. The Langthabal Konung (Palace) was established by Maharaja Gambhir Singh in 1827 AD just after the liberation of Manipur from Burmese occupation. Maharaja Gambhir Singh took his last breath in Canchipur. Canchipur is also the Birth Place of Dr Lamabam Kamal, a renowned poet of Manipur. The University has 76 affiliated colleges and one constituent college.